Thursday, June 23, 2011

Crafty Goodness: Fabric Totes, Kindle Covers

I've been putting my new sewing machine to good use. I made two simple, but versatile lined fabric totes. They're lined in the same fabric as the band on top ... next time I plan to add an interior pocket or two. I know, how exciting!
After a tip from a fellow crafter, I added a flat bottom to each bag so there was a little more room inside.
I am a huge fan of the "button foot" on my sewing machine. Sewing buttons on by hand can be pretty tricky and becomes tedious after about, well, after the first button.
After a receiving a Kindle for Christmas (which I love), I crocheted this cover in a couple hours for less than the price of one skein of variegated yarn. It's cute, but I'm not thrilled with how wonky the flap looks... it tends to curl up due to the tightness of the stitch I used.
I like the crocheted version, but in the interest of time I drew out a fabric sleeve. I made two of these for Mother's Day gifts. I got to use my button foot again because I added an elastic closure (which is actually an unused pony tail holder straight from Mallory's drawer- ha!)
Three cheers for sewing machines!

1 comment:

Megan Kane said...

awh...thanks for the props!! Although you are way more talented in said crafts...I just attempt them ;)