Saturday, October 25, 2008

Quirks-Part 2

I enjoyed the post regarding quirks (and enjoyed reading other peoples'). As random as they were, that's kind of what I'm about, so here's another one I recognized today:

I am a FREAK about license plates.

My license plate is nothing spectacular - vehicle registration in WI costs enough the way it is - personalization is out of the question. In general, I am obsessed with figuring out what custom plates stand for. Recently I saw one that said 4x4FRVR. Clearly this person didn't think the 4x4 truck they were driving was enough to show everyone they like 4x4s. I've also been known to send text messages (specifically to my brother) with fun, crazy or ridiculous license plates I see just because I feel like someone else should share in the moment. But I digress...

Others I've seen:
I M 10S
KAYS CAR - best when driven by a man :)
PRNCESS
TWNS CAR - this one triggered a text to a friend since I remembered (from high school) this car is driven by a twin friend of hers

Ha, apparently I'm a stalker, too. I sometimes associate personalized plates with a location if I see the vehicle there on multiple occasions. A couple months ago I noticed the owner of 'JEALOUS' (consistently seen at a retail establishment I frequent) got a new car when it switched from one sport's car to another. I should be committed.

In addition to solving the puzzles that are personalized license plates, I have an unusual ability to remember non-personalized plates. Today while on driving on the highway, I glanced at the license plate of the car ahead of me and after thinking it looked oddly familiar realized it was that of a close friend. It wasn't until after I recognized her plate that I thought to myself, "Red Rav-4, yes, that would make sense." What? Is that normal? How about you? Would you recognize the vehicle, then license plate or vice versa? Do you even PAY ATTENTION to license plates?

While we're on the topic of quirks, I'll throw in a pet peeve for you as well: I can SEE what make and model of car you drive, so there is no need to plaster it across your windshield or back window in 12" letters, ex.: if you drive a Chevy Cavalier, it's not necessary to buy a decal that says 'Cavalier' and put it ANYWHERE on your car. Save your money. In fact, if you're interested in expressing yourself, you could spend it on personalized plates. Just stay away from CVALIER. We get it.

Stay tuned for more quirks - there are bound to be more where that came from.

2 comments:

Megan's Munchkins said...

you. are. crazy.
either that or have waaaayyyy to much time on your hands. I ONLY notice license plates if they are the car DIRECTLY in front of me at a stop AND if they are personalized. Mine are random. So random that I have no idea what they say. There is a 9 in it I believe......

Anonymous said...

You are completely whacked, yet very entertaining. You should be a journalist and write a weekly column. No seriously, and it would be a good way to make extra money so I'm sure Casey would be in for it as well.