Thursday, March 11, 2010

She's cute, but STILL!

Isn't she adorable???
Then why can her behaviors be SO maddening?? :)
I thought it was time for excerpts from the joys of toddlerhood and things that Mallory is teaching us. It's a fun game we (she) plays. It's called "She knows EXACTLY what she wants and can't wait for Mommy or Daddy to try and try and try to figure out what it is". Doesn't that sound awesome??

In no particular order... (for some reason they all revolve around food)

1. Just because she wants her banana peeled and cut up one day (with a fork please, momma), does not mean this will work the next day. No, I don't want it out of the peel ... give me the whole banana. But wait, did I say I wanted the whole banana with peel, no...here you can have the peel. On second (third?) thought, can I just have an apple?

2. Oooh grapes! Yes please! Oh, well, thanks for putting them in a bowl like you did yesterday when I devoured them, but today that just won't do. It appears I'm not hungry. Oh ... hey, is that the "vine" (is that what it's called?) they come attached to? Let me see that. Just that, not the grapes. Oh, way to go, Mom, after three attempts, you figured it out! I want the grapes ON the vine, then I will pick each one off, put them in the (same) bowl ... here's the empty vine, boy that was fun. Oh, good ... look GRAPES! Just what I wanted - YUM!

3. Hey Momma, whatcha eatin?? Oh, is that oatmeal? What's that you say? I have some in my bowl already - it's the same oatmeal you're eating?? Oh, well can I have yours anyway? I just want to be sure. And I'd like a different spoon. I'm done with these plastic children's spoons. I want a big one, like yours. It makes the oatmeal taste WAY different.

****************


This does not fall into the super-frustrating-every-parent-must-play-the-guessing-game-of-their-toddler category, but thought you'd find it equally fun and awesome. (yes, I felt bad at the time.)

It doesn't matter if your child acts like she feels fine, maybe it was an upset stomach, maybe it was spoiled milk she had before bed (it smelled fine), there will be nights when she throws up everywhere.

TWICE.

Lots of yuck, two late night baths, two sheet changes, two sets of new jammies, did I mention a plugged drain that renders your washing machine useless at the moment? Lovely. Today is a new day and Casey actually said, "I love being a dad, this isn't so bad, it's just puke." It's true.

Edited to add: I also must say, I have no problem cleaning up the yuckiness, at all. But last night helped me realize I am almost physically incapable of breathing through my mouth and I don't think pregnancy helps my gag reflex.

***************


Oh...and one last tidbit...child safety locks are great, aren't they? We have one on our pantry to avoid tantrums when Mallory thinks it's snack time, but it's really not. :) However, it stopped being cool and CHILD SAFE when she pulled the door open only to realize she couldn't open it all the way ... then proceeded to bang it shut, smashing her fingers in the door. GREAT. Live and learn, I guess, but not really the message we were trying to send.

Check back ... you can bet there will be more fun ahead!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The banana drama happens at our house too!!! :)

Sara