Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Strawberry Picking

My cousin, Megan and I went strawberry picking for the 4th year in a row last Tuesday. The season started a couple weeks early this year and I didn't have anyone to watch Mallory so knowing her love for strawberries and being outside I figured I'd chance it and take her along.

This farm also has a small petting zoo and some great play structures, so she was thrilled from the start.
Here she is laughing at the "go"s.
Waiting to be taken to the field.
Her eyes are closed ... wonder where she gets that from.
Mallory & Megan
"Oooh, dog!"
I should have known I'd have nothing to worry about. Literally SECONDS after reaching the field she bent down, picked and ate a strawberry. Unfortunately, I wasn't quick enough with the first one and she ate the stem too. Eh, well, she didn't seem to mind.
She got the hang of picking, but somehow none of her strawberries made it in the flat.
Trying to sneak one I had picked...
I had a suspicious amount of straw in my flat when I got home and started washing the strawberries ... couldn't figure out how it got in there.
...full tummy, getting tired and a little bored, but still cute as heck...
She perked up when we got back to the farm and FED the "go"s.
...on to the play structures...
By the time we left she didn't want help climbing the stairs.
14 pounds of strawberries and lots of fun later...
...she was one exhausted girl.
She got a nap, but I had lots of work to do:
19 jars of freezer jam, 6 containers in the freezer and a fresh strawberry pie!

No comments: