Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Goosey Goosey Gander

By the way, can anyone tell me how this has ANY business being in a children's book?

Goosey goosey gander,
Whither shall I wander?
Upstairs and downstairs
And in my lady's chamber.
There I met an old man
Who wouldn't say his prayers,
So I took him by his left leg
And threw him down the stairs.


What?


I did a double take the other night while reading to Mallory from a book of nursery rhymes. I understand not saying your prayers could considered by some to be a serious offense. I had no idea it was punishable by a violent shove down the stairs.

I half expected to turn the page to see, "if you don't eat your peas you're going to get hit by a bus." (I know that doesn't rhyme, but seriously.)

This post seemed deserving of a mouthful of goldfish and a blank stare. You're welcome.

No comments: