Monday, February 21, 2011

Suzy Seamstress

I made a window valance for Mallory's room over the weekend. I'm about 98% certain I haven't used a sewing machine since Mrs. Webb's 7th Grade Home Economics class. I made a monkey pillow. Which, oddly enough, I happened to find the other day. (Who keeps this stuff?) I know I was required to follow a pattern, but my memory did me a disservice ... I remember it being much cuter. Eh, 7th grade, I was, what? 12 years old.
Anyway, I found fabric and a pattern from Wal-mart and borrowed my sister-in-law's sewing machine to attempt the valance. I was nervous, but I'm pleased with the result especially considering I did the majority during the girls' 3-hour nap on Friday and the fact that it's been ages since I've used a machine.
The good news ... fabrics, embellishments (buttons, ribbon), rod and pattern were under $30.
The bad news (depending on who you ask) ... I've put in a request for a sewing machine for my upcoming birthday. Cross your fingers! :)

2 comments:

Megan Kane said...

That's it!!! I'm sending all my craft projects to you!!!!

Katie said...

That valence looks AWESOME!!! I love the way it turned out. And the monkey pillow is pretty impressive for a 7th grader. In our 7th grade Home Economics we made shorts (mine were Tweety Bird) and I gotta say I would have preferred the monkey pillow.