Saturday, October 31, 2009

no more 25 cent sundaes

Okay, so I don't usually get all worked up about changes in our town ... this store closes, another one opens, put in a bank or a gas station, some crappy little restaurant or clothing store that sticks around for 6 months, la la la la ... still waiting for a Target.

But, this time, I am genuinely saddened by the loss of a local business. Dick's Pizzeria was a family owned restaurant on the corner a block from our house. Casey and I live in the house I grew up in and it's been there longer than I've been alive. Anyway, earlier this year they closed up shop and we found out Walgreens (yay!!) will be occupying a second corner in West Bend.

At the beginning of October I thought to myself, I should really walk down to the corner to take some pictures of Dick's before they rip it down. Well, I dropped the ball on that one and this is what I saw as I rounded the corner one afternoon. Crap. I ran home to get my camera before it completely disappeared. (don't worry, I pulled into the McDonald's across the street to take pictures.)

It's the end of an era, Dick's. I'll miss your thin crust and in-house marinara. I'll definitely miss the hop, skip and a jump week night walks down the street for fish dunked in butter, Grandma Wagner sitting next to me at the table. But mostly, I'm sad that Mallory will never be as excited about the 25 cent build-your-own sundae bar as Kevin and I were when we were little (well, not just when we were little ... since both of us are veterans of DQ we never gave up on who could put the best "signature DQ curl" on the top of our sundaes).

No comments: